The Toxic Avenger



(1984) ***1/2

Schlubby Melvin is the mop boy at the Tromaville health club. He spends his days ridiculed by dopey jocks and their girlfriends, but he's perfectly happy... until the day he unintentionally pisses them off, and the jocks plot revenge. The revenge scheme leads to Melvin falling into an open barrel of toxic waste, and he eventually transforms into a powerful but good-hearted monster. Will Melvin rid the town of evil and corruption? Will he get the girl? Will there be an opening for a sequel? You all know the answers already.

I'm guessing this is the best Troma film ever made, and I must admit I enjoyed it thoroughly, despite (or because of, I can't tell) the horrific acting, cheesy dialogue, sophomoric humor, and extravagant gore. The movie gets major points for the pipe-in-the-ass factor, and to my great surprise I found it entertaining throughout. However, I can't go any higher than 3 and 1/2 stars. Just can't do it. Hopefully HandsomeStan (who gave it 5 stars) is too busy to notice this review until it's buried in an avalanche of subsequently-posted reviews, and my heresy will go unnoticed. So post away, folks, and help me hide this one!
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY